Inocence

Inocence

Wednesday 30 April 2008

Family Meal

He told us over dinner one evening
In between mouthfuls of pork chop
Said he had cancer, calm and distanced
Like it was our great uncles cousin.

Of course mother knew, the way she
Lowered her fork, heavy yet slow.
It was the first time I’d seen her elbows
Rest upon the table, hands together
Fingers entwined, like a nun in prayer.

Our Steve began to cry. His blue eyes
Lost behind great exaggerated sobs
It wasn’t the talk of cancer
He cried for the silence, for the unnatural
Mood that hung above us
Like smog over a country field.
.
Sounds unheard since mothers first borne
Seeped out from the silence
The thud of the clocks hand echoed
Hidden timber creaked with age
.The possibility of death
Whispering from within the walls

We left the table like strangers
Dispersing upon our own private grief.
All that we had taken for granted
Was scraped away with the remains of the meal.

Later that evening they washed up together;
Only when father dropped a plate
Did my mother, picking up the shattered pieces
Begin to cry.

No comments:

An Explanantion



From an early age I have battled with the shadow of death which lurked beneath my bed waiting, waiting for that moment when, fragile, and full of childhood anxiety I would allow a momentary thought of loss to flicker through my mind.
The speeding rocket that is fear would flood me with bed wetting thoughts, till paralysed my mother would scoop me up placing me with loving concern between the warm pillow of my sleeping father..... Since then i have penned, in frenzied bouts poems of loss, fragility and those basic instincts of man.
This site is not purely of melachonic verse, as even in the most darkest of rooms a little light will always, no matter what, seep through.