Inocence

Inocence

Thursday 1 May 2008

For The Rain, From the Grave

They carried me with the caution of a newborn:
Stern shoulders to careful to droop and grieve.
What the bearers of my casket concealed, their
Faces could not. Sunken eyes, ringed by
Fractured nights of sleep, levelled at the hole.

It rained that day; Children’s feet scampering
Across a floorboard. The patter of droplets upon my lid.
A gentle percussion tapping upon that which
Assured the finality of my life.
It was then that I felt the empty end of death
Not in my passing, not in their heaving breaths
Of mourning, but in the knowledge from this
Day on, when clouds open and shower below
I shall never feel it’s decent upon my body.

When finally I was lowered held for an eternity
From reluctant hands and lingering hears
It was not the thudding of soil I feared
It was the fading of the rain.

No comments:

An Explanantion



From an early age I have battled with the shadow of death which lurked beneath my bed waiting, waiting for that moment when, fragile, and full of childhood anxiety I would allow a momentary thought of loss to flicker through my mind.
The speeding rocket that is fear would flood me with bed wetting thoughts, till paralysed my mother would scoop me up placing me with loving concern between the warm pillow of my sleeping father..... Since then i have penned, in frenzied bouts poems of loss, fragility and those basic instincts of man.
This site is not purely of melachonic verse, as even in the most darkest of rooms a little light will always, no matter what, seep through.